Visitor Question

Cut by slot machine…

Submitted By: Anonymous (USA)

I was at a casino on October 27, 2013 and sat down at a slot machine. When I reached to move my player card cord, a piece of metal on the machine cut my pinky finger. It’s still open and in pain. I am a diabetic, have sickle cell anemia and sjogren syndrome which causes me to take longer to heal.

Is there anything I can do to get the casino to compensate me for this? How much should I receive for my pain and suffering and lack of use of my finger?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

Your first action should be to seek medical care. Under normal circumstances you would have had the right to seek compensation from the casino for your injuries. That compensation could have included medical bills, out of pocket expenses, lost wages, and “pain and suffering.” In your case you may have a problem.

In your case it appears you may have forfeited your right to purse a personal injury claim against the casino. Your failure to timely seek medical care shortly after October 27th, 2013 was a mistake.

Your failure to seek medical care will likely be considered “contributory negligence.” In some states contributory negligence is a complete bar to a personal injury claim. In others, the amount of an injured person’s compensation will be diminished by the percentage of the person’s comparative negligence.

Inasmuch as your injury occurred on October 27th, 2013, and you haven’t sought medical care since that time, you may be wholly precluded for successfully pursuing any injury claim against the casino. But there are exceptions. The best thing you can do is meet with a personal injury attorney and get a professional’s opinion of the facts of your case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 14, 2013

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2468 (11) {
    string(34) "Casino Accidents and Injury Claims"
    string(11) "page_id_115"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "181"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *