Visitor Question

Dentist Bill Compensation?

Submitted By: C (Michigan)

I went to a restaurant called and got Chinese take out. While I was eating the white rice I bit down on a rock which chipped and cracked some teeth. Now I have to make a trip to the dentist to get them fixed. I’ll also need a quote so the restaurant can take care of the bill.

The restaurant’s insurance company’s claims department asked me if I had a number in mind, other than that dentist bill being taken care of, and I told them I didn’t have a number right off the top of my head. I’m just not sure what I could get out of it.

I have really bad anxiety which I’m already receiving disability for and hate going to the dentist. I also have a newborn and am in the process of moving. What do you think is a reasonable amount of money to ask for from an insurance claims department, other than them taking care of the dentist bill?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear C,

When you say “I’m just not sure what I could get out of it,” you might be referring to an additional amount over and above the amount of your dental bills.

Before coming to an agreement with the insurance company be sure your dental issues are fully resolved. You certainly wouldn’t want to accept a settlement only to find out sometime later that your dental problems were not fully resolved.

At that time it would be too late.

Realistically, the insurance company doesn’t have to pay much more than just your dental bills. In fact, they don’t even have to pay your dental bill. Instead they could take a hard position and refuse to accept responsibility on behalf of its restaurant.

With that in mind you should understand that unless you are prepared to file a lawsuit against the restaurant, your “leverage” against the restaurant and its insurance company

is limited. We suggest you ask the insurance company to pay your dental bills and possibly a nominal fee above that; $500.00 dollars over your dental bills seems reasonable.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: October 23, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(66) "Filing Personal Injury Claims for Food Contamination and Poisoning"
    string(11) "page_id_208"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "157"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *