Visitor Question

Fall at School With No Liability Insurance…

Submitted By: Anonymous (Texas)

While attending a volleyball game almost 2 weeks ago, my mom slipped on water on the floor and injured her knee really bad. The state of Texas doesn’t require school districts to carry liability insurance so the school is doing nothing to help.

My mom’s medicare didn’t start until today, Sept 1st, and they are saying they don’t cover an accident that happened on someone else’s property. She’s been in a brace since leaving the ER and needs an MRI to find out the damage, but she can’t afford an MRI.

I don’t understand this at all. What should she do? Is there any way to get compensation for her injuries or insurance to pay for her treatment? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

Contrary to your belief, Texas School Districts are highly insured, especially for the personal injuries people may suffer while on school property.

Additionally, Medicare does not discriminate in its coverage for those injured, whether injured on school property or not. Medicare is available to all who are qualified to receive it.

Your mother may be able to recover compensation for her injuries. Because a school district is considered a municipality, there are certain rules to be followed.

Following those rules will help your mother recover money for her medical bills, called “hard costs,” out of pocket expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

In the State of Texas the recovery process begins by filing what is called a “Notice of Claim”.

Because cases against municipalities require following specific rules and time limits it’s usually best to seek the advice of a skilled Personal Injury Attorney.

Consulting with one will help you both understand whether your mother’s claim is worth pursuing, and if so, what the possibility of recovery might be.

Most Personal Injury Attorneys do not charge any legal fee for an initial office consultation. Visiting with one at your mother’s earliest convenience will help protect her legal rights.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: September 1, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2470 (11) {
    string(76) "Filing Claims for Injuries in Public Places and On Government-owned Property"
    string(11) "page_id_244"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "180"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *