Visitor Question

Fall on Ice at Apartment Complex…

Submitted By: Anonymous (California)

The landlord at the apartment complex where I live turns on the sprinklers every night for a few hours. One cold morning the sprinkler’s water from the night before turned into ice. As I was leaving my apartment I slipped and fell on the pavement and was injured.

What kind of aid can I ask the apartment’s insurance for? How do I ask? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

It depends upon the nature and extent of your injuries. If you were injured and sought medical attention your request for compensation from the landlord would be based on your medical bills. If you were injured seriously you may also be entitled to compensation for your out of pocket expenses such as prescription and over the counter medications, lost wages, and even an amount for “pain and suffering”.

If your injuries required medical attention contact the landlord immediately. Tell her the date and time you were injured and the nature and extent of your injuries. Present the landlord with any medical bills you may have. If, as a result of the fall you had to buy prescriptions or over the counter medications, or you missed work tell the landlord those amounts as well.

It is altogether possible your fall may have been caught on one of the apartment complex’s security cameras. If so, that would inure to your credibility and benefit.

You must get the landlord’s attention. What you are trying to do is have the landlord refer the entire matter to her insurance company. Once she does that you won’t have to deal with the landlord anymore. Instead you can attempt to negotiate a settlement for your injuries with the insurance company.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: February 10, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(35) "Apartment Building Insurance Claims"
    string(10) "page_id_51"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "278"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *