Visitor Question

Fell Down the Steps at My Job…

Submitted By: John (Harrisonburg, VA)

I was carrying a big printer down some steps at work in 2006 and the steps weren’t lit very well. I couldn’t see the next step and fell down them and the printer landed on my knee. At first I was okay but then my knee swelled up and they sent me to their doctor.

He x-rayed my knee and said that it would be fine and told me to go back to work. Now my knee pops all the time and it hurts very bad when it pops, after each time it pops I can’t put any weight on it for a while.

Do I have any way of getting my knee fixed or getting compensation for the continued pain and discomfort my knee is giving me?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear John,

Regrettably, no. The Statute of Limitations for personal injury cases in the State of Virginia is two (2) years. A Statute of Limitations is the time period in which an injured person has to either settle a personal injury case or to file a lawsuit. Once that time period expires it is legally impossible to pursue the case in court.

If you are working for the same company you may still have a chance of asking them to pay for any of the medical bills you may now incur to treat your injured knee.

Although a workmans compensation claim normally must be filed within ninety (90) days, in the State of Virginia there are some exceptions.

If you are no longer employed by the company you will regrettably be out of legal luck. At this point all you will be able to do is do the best you can to alleviate the pain.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 22, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(51) "Compensation for Slip and Fall Work Accident Claims"
    string(11) "page_id_499"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "190"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *