Visitor Question

Football Injury at School…

Submitted By: Beeta (Attalla, AL, USA)

My son is fifteen years old and he got hurt in spring football workouts at school. As a result he had to have surgery and his school won’t pay for any of his medical bills nor will they take any responsibility. As a result of the surgery he cannot bend down.

What can I do?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Beeta,

Normally injuries suffered at school by students are handled at the administrative level. From the facts you present it appears you have already attempted that route and were unsuccessful.

Don’t give up yet. When you say the school won’t pay for any of your son’s medical bills it is unclear who told you they would not. There are several administrative levels at almost all schools. Depending upon which level you began and finished at will determine which step should be next.

For example If you spoke with your son’s football coach and he denied the claim, then go to the athletic director. If that doesn’t work then to the vice-principal or principal. If you are still not satisfied contact the school superintendent’s office and inquire about the procedure for addressing your concerns with the school board.

Before you do that you may want to alert your son’s principal. There is a possibility if she knows you are not going to take no for an answer and have decided to take your son’s case to the next level she may take another look at your son’s case.

If she doesn’t change her mind present your case to the school board. You have an absolute right to address them in public at one of their hearings. Your case will be placed on the agenda and you will have your day “in court” so to speak.

If that fails you can always consider consulting with a personal injury attorney. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. You will at least know what the issues are and the amount of time and energy required to pursue the claim through the court system.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: October 14, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(44) "Filing Sports Injury Claims for Compensation"
    string(11) "page_id_449"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "290"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *