Visitor Question

Glass in Foot After Fight at a Nightclub…

Submitted By: Helen (Fullerton, CA, USA)

I have shattered glass stuck in my foot due to a fight that broke out at a nightclub. I had absolutely no involvement in the altercation and was just an innocent bystander.

Though the cuts aren’t big, I am unable to remove the glass on my own. I’m unsure if I should go to the hospital to have them removed. Not only are my injuries extremely uncomfortable, but I’m scared the glass will go deeper or even worse, the wound may become infected.

Should I go to the hospital? How will I pay for it? Is the club responsible? As mentioned earlier, it is extremely uncomfortable and I’m highly concerned at this point. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Helen,

Yes! Go to your doctor, nearest hospital emergency room or local clinic immediately! If you can’t afford to pay for your treatment go to your local county or municipal hospital. They can’t turn you away and you should be able to work out a payment plane with them for any amounts you owe.

The club may be liable. Make sure after you seek medical attention you bring those bills to the bar owner. She probably has property liability insurance. It’s similar to homeowner’s insurance and is available to the owner so she can compensate those patrons of the bar who may become injured on the property.

At the time of the fight someone at the bar, probably one of the employees or the owner, made out some form of “Incident Report”. That report can be used in your personal injury claim for compensation.

If the police were dispatched to the bar then get a copy of the police report.

As long as you were an innocent bystander and didn’t contribute to the melee, you should be in a position to be reimbursed for your medical bills and out of pocket expenses, such as prescription and over the counter medications.

If the bar owner refuses to assist you with your claim you can always consider filing a Small Claims lawsuit against her. In the State of California the Small Claims jurisdiction – or limits one can sue for – is $7,500 dollars.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: February 27, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2470 (11) {
    string(39) "Bar Fights: Liability and Injury Claims"
    string(10) "page_id_79"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "187"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *