Visitor Question

High Speed Car Crash Results in Serious Injuries…

Submitted By: Widow (Illinois, USA)

A man ran a stop sign at approximately 70mph. He hit me, caught me behind the rear drivers side tire. I spun, traveled down the road sideways and flipped 4 times. My car was totalled. He cracked his bumper.

He had a full load of wood blocking his view to me (his right), he could not even see his wife sitting next to him.

I have 4 damaged discs, 2 torn, pools of blood at site of internal injury after one year. My medical bils are over $100,000 so far. I had 3 injections to back, discogram, Surgery they need to do BUT DO NOT SUGGEST i do it since it’s over $225,000. The neurosurgeon told me I would be rendered immobile.

I am a widow raising a young teen. I was in school at the time of the accident which i had to quit due to the back injury. I cannot bend, sit or stand for any length of time.

I hired a lawyer who says I may have to go with a mediator or arbitrator. I can’t work, which i was going to school to provide income, I have constant pain in my lower back that radiates up thru my shoulders. Sleeping is a joke as lying down involves tossing and turning to get comfortable.

The man who hit me only has $100,000 insurance which I have already used in medical, although they have not paid out a cent either. I have under-insured motorist coverage at $1.5 mil but the insurance company doesn’t want to pay out.

I know I am due compensation for my injuries, my loss of school, future employment, PAIN AND SUFFERING, etc. I have depression which gets worse from time to time due to stress of pain and bills mounting. This man has ruined my life in so many ways. As a widow I was taking care of 2 acres of manicured lawn. I can no longer do this, I am going to end up moving! God forbid i lose my home.

My life has gone from full and active to nothing. Raising my daughter as i previously was has changed dramatically. It is so unfair.

What is the best way to handle this? I read up on mediators and arbitrators. I think mediation at this point is the route to take. I don’t want anything final as of yet. Can I also sue this man personally? He has moved out of state. He has many issues going on in his private life….and my lawyer said he also has liens against him. I’m afraid to make a wrong choice here.

Any free info would be greatly appreciated! I am not a woman who can afford any more bills. Thank you for your time.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Widow,

You have suffered a great deal. Regretfully, we will not be able to render an opinion in your case. You are currently represented by Counsel. Illinois proscribes a 3rd party from interfering with an Attorney-Client relationship. Doing so is considered Tortious Interference with the Attorney-Client Relationship.

Good luck.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: February 25, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(69) "How Pain and Suffering Compensation Increases with Permanent Injuries"
    string(11) "page_id_337"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "292"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *