Visitor Question

Hit and Run Car Accident…

Submitted By: Megan (Seattle, WA)

I was involved in a hit & run, the other party ran a red light a T-boned me.

They left but we found the car and have the parts to their vehicle and mine.

I filed a police report and got an attorney but feel we are just spinning wheels in the mud. The other insurance company says they can’t get a hold of the party at fault. So why and what is the process?

I don’t have a car and they drive by my house hourly.

Called my attorney and he is always busy or has no advice. So frustrated!

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Megan,

Hit and run cases are probably the most frustrating of all because you do not have another party’s insurance company to pursue.

Most of the time an attorney will not take a case on such shaky odds, so I am wondering if they/you have some idea of who he other driver is?

Regardless, if the other party left the scene, they likely do not have insurance or resources to pursue. There may be very little that your attorney can do. One option is to consider the UIM (under or un-insured motorist) provision of your insurance policy, if you have it.

Many people pay a bit extra so that, in a circumstance like this where a party either has insufficient insurance, no insurance or they have left the scene, the innocent party does not get stuck with medical bills and property damages.

If you have UIM coverage, it would be as though you knew the insurance of the other party because you would technically submit a claim against your own insurance. It may sound a little backward, but at least your expenses get covered.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 22, 2010

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(60) "Hit and Run Accidents and Compensation for Personal Injuries"
    string(11) "page_id_229"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "202"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *