Visitor Question

Hit and Run Injury Compensation

Submitted By: (Edmond, Oklahoma)

I was walking in a crosswalk at a 3 way stop with stop signs. The driver “rolled” the stop sign and hit me. She drove away. I suffered abrasions on my legs and arms, and I needed stitches in my chin.

I also chipped a tooth. I got a full body cat scan, x-ray. It has been 10 months, and the areas on my legs are numb. I am a music performance major at the university and because of the injures to my chin,

my playing/schooling was effected. What is a rough estimate of the compensation of my claim? Is the school liable as well? I am 19 and female.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear ,

Injury values are tough to give without seeing all the medical records. Additionally, values can change significantly from county to county and therefore from state to state.

Accordingly, I am unable to estimate the value of your injuries in an Oklahoma venue.

That being said, abrasions are not worth anything.

The injury to your chin will depend on any scarring that is there.

A chipped tooth – in New York – is worth a few thousand, but as mentioned, I do not know what the value in your venue would be.

If you have numbness, that could be an issue with a herniated disc – which puts pressure on your nerves.

If you have not already done so, I recommend seeing a neurologist.

Lastly, your difficulty with instrument playing is a quality of life issue and it will only be considered (in any settlement offer) if you bring a lawsuit.

I cannot opine if the school is liable because you do not say where the accident happened.

However, even if it happened on campus, the only liability argument you have is that there is a problem with the design of the roadway or a signage issue.

To credibly bring this argument, you would need to retain an expert (civil engineer) who would probably cost too much.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 18, 2009

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(60) "Hit and Run Accidents and Compensation for Personal Injuries"
    string(11) "page_id_229"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "205"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *