Visitor Question

Hit By a Car While in a Crosswalk…

Submitted By: Kathy (Hawaii)

I was injured when I was hit by a car while walking in a crosswalk. How would I go about finding out what happened to the woman that hit me? This happened in 2/17/11 and I have not heard from the police or the lawyer on this matter.

I don’t know what to do. My life has totally changed and I can’t simply accept the fact that now I have to walk with a cane and nothing has been done. My independence has been taken away by this women.

I got a lawyer but so far they don’t seem to have done anything or even communicated with me on this matter. They only said that I should settle because the lady’s insurance is not enough to cover my hospital expenses, and she doesn’t have anything else to sue for. Thanks for any thoughts you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Kathy,

Our policy is not to interfere with the attorney-client relationship. Doing so would be legally inappropriate. We would though be happy to make some observations from the facts you present.

The first thing we should tell you is personal injury cases can takes months and sometimes even years to settle, or get to trial.

It looks like it’s been about 8 months since the accident occurred.

If your attorney is telling you there is only a limited amount of funds available in insurance proceeds then there isn’t much more she can do. Regrettably there are people who choose not to purchase high amounts of liability insurance. This occurs for a number of reasons, with usually the prohibitive cost of higher limits being the most common.

You will probably soon have to come to the realization there is only so much money available to pay your medical bills. If there isn’t enough insurance money to cover your future medical bills then your only alternative would be to file a lawsuit against the driver.

If the driver doesn’t have any amount of substantial assets which are attachable, then doing so would be a waste of time. Our best advice is to speak with your attorney and ask her the same questions you are asking us.

Best of luck,

Law Guy

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 29, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(41) "Injury Claims for Pedestrians Hit by Cars"
    string(11) "page_id_344"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "239"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *