Visitor Question

Homeowners insurance doesn’t cover injuries to relatives?

Submitted By: Trish (Bethlehem, PA)

I live with my husband in a house owned by his mother. I was awakened by the phone and went down the stairs to answer it. Being sleepy, I thought I was at the bottom step and stepped off, but there was 1 more step. I stepped forward and landed wrong , breaking the bone in my left foot.

Now the doctors say it’s possible I’ll need surgery. I have no medical insurance. We immediately called the homeowners insurance company who denied the claim because I live there and I’m a relative. Is this right? Is there anything else I can do to get my medical bills covered? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Trish,

That doesn’t sound quite right. Homeowner’s insurance policies normally cover relatives of the homeowner. There are exceptions though. Those exceptions usually have to do with the degree of separation of each relative.

The best thing to do is get a hold of your husbands mother’s homeowners insurance policy. You won’t have to read the entire policy to understand if you are covered or not.

Instead take a very close look at the first or second page of the policy. You want to find the one which says “Declaration Page”. The declaration page is that part of an insurance policy which sets out who will be covered, under what circumstances they will be covered, and for what amounts.

Because not all homeowners insurance policies are alike you will need to determine if you are covered as a daughter-in-law.

If you are, then you need to contact the insurance adjuster who told you you weren’t covered and tell them the declaration page says you are.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: January 15, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(39) "Coverage for Homeowner Insurance Claims"
    string(11) "page_id_230"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "188"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *