Visitor Question

How can I get my injury money 2 years after the accident?

Submitted By: Marie (Sierra Vista, AZ, USA)

I was in an automobile accident on 29 Nov 2010. I was broadsided and ended up in the ER where they left me on a board and neck brace. I had a head concussion, my neck showed c5 and c6 vertebrae out of alignment and were pushing the nerve out, my left leg was bruised, my back sprained, and I was in a lot of pain. I was sent home and advised the pain would get worse as my muscles relaxed.

I saw my doctors and they all documented the automobile accident.

I hired an attorney but he did nothing but send a letter stating he was representing me, then in May of this year I was contacted by his office. They wanted a list of my medication which I gave.

I know there is a 2 year time frame to resolve this. So is there any way I can extend that or anything in the law that can help over ride this two year time frame? What can I do to get the money I deserve for my injuries?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Marie,

It is our policy at not to interfere with the attorney-client relationship. To answer your questions directly, you should contact your attorney.

Generally speaking, the only way a statute of limitations period can be extended, or “tolled”, is by the filing of a lawsuit. Once a lawsuit is filed the statute of limitations becomes irrelevant. The exception would be if the lawsuit is dismissed subsequent to the statute of limitations expiring. If that were to occur the plaintiff would be barred from filing an additional lawsuit or pursuing a claim for the same injury.

In addition, an agreement between a victim and an at-fault party or his insurance company to continue negotiations despite the passing of the statute of limitations is not enforceable.

In the State of Arizona an automobile accident which occurred on November 29th, 2010 would have to have been either settled or a lawsuit filed by November 29th, 2012 to preserve a victim’s rights to pursue his injury claim.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: June 1, 2017

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(56) "Important Car Accident and Personal Injury Laws by State"
    string(11) "page_id_362"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "221"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *