Visitor Question

Incarcerated mentally ill husband not receiving prescribed medications…

Submitted By: Angela (Virginia)

My husband is mentally ill and incarcerated.

He is in a new CCA facility (Corrections Corporation of America); his prescribed medications are either being given to him in an infrequent manner or not at all. DOC officials have been notified and stated they did not have jurisdiction over CCA, however, CCA is required by law to abide by state minimum standards.

Husband has filed two grievances with the facility about improper medication management; the grievances were returned to him citing they were 501.01, inappropriate grievance.

This is a 113.70, management of pharmaceuticals issue.

Without his psychiatric medication, he is suffering.

I have seen a decline in his mental health over the past month and have reported these concerns to both DOC and the CCA facility.

I am concerned for his mental health and well being. What else can I do? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Angela,

Contact the mental health professional treating your husband. Your husband’s physician is the one who has decision making powers over the type and frequency of your husband’s medications.

It’s possible that because of your husband’s mental state, he has found it difficult to communicate with his physician. If that’s the case, you will likely receive a better response from the physician by directly contacting him or her, rather than continuing to be frustrated with the administration at CCA.

If that isn’t productive, here’s some additional information which will be helpful. Contact Damon T. Hininger, President and Chief Executive Officer at CCA’s headquarters at:

10 Burton Hills Boulevard Nashville, TN 37215 P: 615-263-3000 P: 800-624-2931

You can also contact the Virginia Department of Corrections and see about filing a complaint.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: March 17, 2016

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(59) "Prison Inmate Injury Claims & Dangerous Jail Conditions"
    string(11) "page_id_384"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "174"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *