Visitor Question

Injured by Two Guys Fighting at a Bar…

Submitted By: Magaly (Nashua, NH)

My sister went out to Halloween party at a bar over the weekend and while she was there a fight happened with two gentlemen. One guy threw a glass and missed the other guy and it hit my sister in the face. My sister left the bar and went directly to the hospital.

Is the bar responsible for my sister’s safety? Are they responsible for medical expenses? What should we do to protect her legal rights to recovery for her injuries? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Magaly,

The bar and the man who threw the glass which injured your daughter are both liable. Your reference to the man who caused your daughter’s injuries as a “gentleman” is too kind.

A man who would do such a thing doesn’t sound like much of a gentleman.

You will have more luck getting the bar to pay for your daughter’s medical bills than the man.

Contact the bar management. Explain to them what happened.

They will do one of two things…

They may agree to compensate your daughter for her injuries and the medical bills which resulted, or they may not. If they do agree then ask them for the name and telephone number of their insurance company.

Contact the insurance company and file a claim. The insurance company’s representative will work with you to make sure your daughter’s medical bills will be paid. The insurance company should also agree to pay for her out-of-pocket expenses such as prescription medication and over the counter medicines.

If it becomes necessary for your daughter to miss work, the insurance company may also agree to pay for her lost wages.

On the other hand if the bar will not agree to pay you may have to consider taking legal action in the form of a Small Claims lawsuit. In the State of New Hampshire the maximum amount you can sue for in Small Claims Court is $7,500.00 dollars.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: October 24, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(39) "Bar Fights: Liability and Injury Claims"
    string(10) "page_id_79"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "184"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *