Visitor Question

Injured When a Sink Fell on My Foot in Section 8 Apartment…

Submitted By: Scottie (Williamsburg, KY)

I was injured when the sink in my Section 8 apartment (Public Housing) fell on my foot while I was shaving. I had just moved into a the apartment 2 weeks before the incident and I reported to the landlord that the sink in the bathroom was hanging at a tilt, as if it were loose from the wall a little.

A few days after that I was shaving so the water was running and when I went to clean my razor the sink fell down onto my foot. I received an injured sciatic nerve from the sink crushing my big toe and it also caused me to fall over into the bathtub and injure my back.

It was a freak accident the way it happened but had the housing authority properly inspected the unit before allowing me to move in this would not have happened in my opinion. Do I have a strong enough case to sue and come out with compensation for my injuries? Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Scottie,

You may not have to sue. Instead send a certified letter, return receipt requested, to the Housing Authority’s State Office. Although you should add or delete any personal information, the letter should basically read as follows:


Dear Sir/Madam:

April 16th, 2012

My name is Scott _______:

On April ____, 2012 I was injured when a sink in my apartment fell on my right/left foot.

As a result my sciatic nerve was injured. I am presently seeking medical attention.

I am not financially able to pay for my medical bills. In addition, I will have to miss several days of work.

I would like to settle this matter amicably. Please contact me as soon as possible so we can make arrangements to cover my damages.

If I don’t hear from you within fourteen (14) days of your receipt of this letter I will consider legal action.

Yours truly,

Scott __________


This should help. If you don’t hear from the housing authority before the expiration of 14 days you can consider contacting a personal injury attorney. Most will not charge for an initial office consultation. That way you will know where you stand, and after the attorney reviews your medical records she will tell you whether you have a case or not.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: April 11, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(35) "Apartment Building Insurance Claims"
    string(10) "page_id_51"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "278"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *