Visitor Question

Injured While Driving My Mother’s Vehicle…

Submitted By: Laila (Kokomo, IN)

I was driving my mother’s vehicle and a deer came out in front of me without warning. I tried to avoid it and hit a tree. I had to go to the emergency room for injuries. I got 52 stitches and dislocated my shoulder.

I’m wondering what will happen to me. Will I have to pay for my own medical bills? I don’t know what to do. Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Laila,

You should not have to pay your own medical bills. If your mother had car insurance there is a high probability she carried liability insurance in addition to property damage coverage for her vehicle.

Contact your mother’s insurance company right away. Report the claim. You will soon after be contacted by your mother’s insurance company’s Claims Adjuster.

She will investigate the case, and as part of her investigation, take your recorded telephonic statement. Don’t hesitate to give the adjuster the statement. It is standard procedure in a case such as this.

Tell her the truth. If your mother’s car insurance was valid at the time of the collision there is every reason to believe your injuries and the resulting medical bills should be covered.

Depending on the extent of your mother’s coverage, she may be able to get a rent-a-car while her car is being repaired.

That is why we all purchase automobile insurance. It is for situations just like yours. It really doesn’t matter who was injured. What matters is that you were injured and as a result suffered personal injuries which required medical assistance.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: October 9, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(61) "Accidents Caused by Poor Road Quality or Hazardous Conditions"
    string(11) "page_id_411"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "253"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *