Visitor Question

Knee Injury On the Job…

Submitted By: Anonymous (USA)

I was on top of a building, supposed to have another person up there with me helping clean but no one was there. The hose for dust was slipping off so I went to grab it, and to prevent myself from falling and possibly dying, I jabbed my knee under the railing.

Now my knee is swollen, sore, and hurts every time I walk. I use a brace while I work now, but it doesn’t help anymore. The accident happened about a week ago and I didn’t fill out an accident report at the time.

Now I’m being told I need surgery for my injury. Can I get paid for time lost? What can I do about my job and the medical bills?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

If your company carries workmans compensation insurance contact your supervisor and report your injury. Your supervisor should put you in contact with the workmans compensation carrier’s representative.

Report the injury to the Claims Adjuster. Explain the details of your injury and ask to be sent to one of the company’s approved doctors. That doctor will evaluate your injury. She will also decide if you need to be referred to a specialist, in your case an orthopedic surgeon.

From the facts you present there doesn’t seem to be any issue about liability. You were working for the company when injured. Whether the company should have had additional employees up on the roof with you isn’t that much of an issue. Whether there was just you or 100 others, the point is you were injured on the job.

Once you begin the compensation process you may be entitled to receive a majority of your salary during the times of your treatment and recovery.

On the other hand, if you worked for an employer who was exempt from workers compensation requirements, or who didn’t carry insurance at all, you will probably have to deal with the owner of the company. That could be a problem if the owner wasn’t sufficiently insured, or if he wasn’t insured at all.

If things don’t go well you can always seek the advice and counsel of either a workmans compensation attorney, or a personal injury attorney. Hopefully that won’t be necessary.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 30, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1940 (11) {
    string(31) "Knee and Ankle Injuries at Work"
    string(11) "page_id_252"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "178"

One thought on “Knee Injury On the Job…

  1. On September 28,2011 I was unloading a cart off the back of our company truck, all of the equipment that we use on the job is stored on the cart. We were lowering it and the weight shifted to one side causing us to lose our grip, as I did a sharp pain went down the inside of my left knee; also I jerked my back trying to keep from dropping the cart (depending on the job it can weight any where from 15-40 lbs).

    I reported the incident as soon as it happened. I was numb around both buttocks and the back of my legs felt as though I just had an extreme workout (burning sensations on both legs and my left foot was numb).

    Since the accident I can’t lay flat on my back due to muscle spasms. I also can’t walk for very long because if I continue the biggest cramp I’ve ever had will floor me. I wake at night with large knots in my calf due to muscle spasms.

    The MRI showed bone marrow changes, surrounding the L5-S1 interspace, L-4 there is a shallow posterior annular bulge. Mild facet joint degenerative changes are also present. There is a disc desiccation and disc space narrowing with mild generalized annular bulge. There are left and right intraformal/far lateral extensions of the annuular bulge, which may course in proximity to the bilateral L5 exiting nerves.

    The doctor said I have arteritis. I never had these problems before the injury and he wants me to accept that finding, but I still don’t know what it all means.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *