Visitor Question

Lump sum payment from victims compensation fund?

Submitted By: Linda (Durant, OK)

I was sexually assaulted in Washington in 2007. For safety reasons I moved to Oklahoma. I had been receiving time loss payments from Washington Crime Victims Compensation until recently. At first they refused to pay for anything. Finally in 2012 they started paying me for time loss wages.

The crime victims compensation process was just as traumatizing as the assault. They said they would approve for me to go to counseling & it took them so long to pay (8 months), that the counselor finally refused to see me any longer. They have been a nightmare to deal with!

Would I be able to receive a lump sum payment from them, since it has been 5 years & I am still not able to work?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Linda,

It’s difficult to know which “Washington” you are referring to. There are two. One is Washington D.C. and the other is the State of Washington. The State of Washington’s Crime Victims Compensation Fund does make lump sum payments. In some cases, the maximum amount is $50,000 dollars.

Washington D.C. also has a Crime Victims Compensation Fund. Lump sum payments are discretionary and the amounts paid to victims depend on several factors, including the victim’s available resources, current income, and education. To learn more, go to the Washington D.C. Victims Compensation site.

Additionally, if you’ve been working with a representative of the Crime Victims Fund you can ask the representative for guidance in the application for a lump sum payment.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: September 3, 2013

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(77) "Crime Victims Rights & Restitution for Physical and Psychological Damages"
    string(11) "page_id_139"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "132"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *