Visitor Question

My Daughter Was Attacked by a Dog Running Loose…

Submitted By: A (Chisholm, Minnesota)

My daughter and I were walking to our vehicle when a dog came charging at us and kept aggressively jumping up on my 7 year old daughter. She couldn’t move and the dog wouldn’t go away. Finally the dog cut her nose open. We held a cloth on it and called the local police

An officer came and took our names and other personal information. My daughter’s nose looks awful. I’d like to know if I have legal rights due to her injury and pain. It will end up being a nasty scar. I have a friend who is an injury attorney and has his own law firm in Tennessee. Should I consult him? Do I have legal rights? Please help. Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear A,

You certainly have a cause of action against the owner of the dog. Hopefully you were able to get the name and address of the dog’s owner. Make sure you get a copy of the police report. If the officer was able to investigate she may have a substantial amount of information you can use in your pursuit of your daughter’s claim.

Make sure you take your daughter to every doctor who might be able to help in your daughter’s recovery. Those may include your daughter’s pediatrician, a dermatologist, and a plastic surgeon. The more knowledge you have the better you will be able to frame the best presentation in support of your daughter’s case.

You are very fortunate to have a friend who is also a personal injury attorney. There is no doubt he will be able to clarify all the issues related to the prosecution of your daughter’s case against the dog owner.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: October 20, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(38) "Filing Dog Bite Lawsuits When Children"
    string(11) "page_id_169"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "174"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *