Visitor Question

Neck and Back Fusion with Chronic Pain…

Submitted By: Anonymous (USA)

Five years ago I hurt myself at work and had to have surgery for disc ruptures. I had a titanium plate with screws put in my neck and also had lower back surgery. I’ve had chronic pain ever since the accident. I hired an attorney and the settlement was for a certain amount of money to be paid each month and for future medical expenses for the rest of my life.

I have had nothing but problems trying to get the insurance company to pay doctors bills and cover medicals prescriptions.

This last year my pain has increased to a level 8 or 9 on the pain scale.

In a period of two weeks I had three trips to the emergency room with one requiring a hospital stay. The MRI showed four disc herniations with one pressing on a nerve root. I was told that I needed to see a neurosurgeon and a pain specialist, and have nerve block injections.

When my doctor sent this information into workers comp they denied the requests. I feel like if I don’t have some type of doctor’s care soon I will end up back in the hospital. I’ve called my lawyer and they said they will appeal the decision but it will take months. I’ve called my case manager for workers comp a half dozen times with no reply at all.

I’m supposed to have medical care for the rest of my life. Why is it so difficult to get workers comp to do what they said they would? What can I do to get the care I so desperately need? Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

Your question does not mention legal counsel, nor does it tell us if your Workers Compensation case has been finalized, or if it is still open while you continue to seek medical help. If your case is still open you can tell the Workers Compensation representative that if she will not agree to pay, you will have no alternative but to set the case for a full hearing.

If your case is already closed you will be bound by the terms of settlement. If the case is still open and you are representing yourself and feel comfortable with the procedures, then proceed accordingly.

If you are not quite sure of the status of your claim, we would recommend you seek legal counsel. Normally a qualified Workers Compensation attorney will not charge you any legal fees for an office consultation.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: April 20, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1940 (11) {
    string(35) "How to Handle Back Injuries at Work"
    string(10) "page_id_72"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "117"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *