Visitor Question

Need Car Wreck Information About Speeding…

Submitted By: Tammy (Wichita, KS)

My husband was driving and stopped at a stop sign. He looked both ways and there were no cars in sight. As he was going through the intersection the assailant’s car come out of nowhere. They never hit their brakes.

The speed limit on the road was 35mph. They claim they were only going 30mph. They t-boned my husband who was going 15mph from 0 through the intersection. They pushed our minivan 180 degrees, over the curb and onto the sidewalk.

How do I prove they were speeding?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Tammy,


From the facts you present it appears you and your husband’s vehicle had a stop sign while the other vehicle did not. Without any sophisticated speed indicators such as a radar gun it will be almost impossible to prove the other party’s speed.

Do not lose hope though. There is another manner in which you may be able to gauge the other party’s speed. If there were any witnesses who saw the collision, and the witnesses agree that the other party was speeding they will be able to testify on your behalf.

You might want to canvas the area at or near the collision site and speak with people who you may see near or around the site of the collision. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I’m afraid though you are starting from a difficult position. Absent other supportive proof, the other party did have the right of way. Without a stop sign or traffic light stopping the other vehicle, the law requires you to yield the right of way.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: April 12, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(70) "How to Use Police Reports and Traffic Citations to Win Your Settlement"
    string(11) "page_id_103"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "257"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *