Visitor Question

Nose Broken at Bar 6 Years Ago…

Submitted By: Sarah (Tacoma, WA)

Just about 6 years ago I was sitting outside a bar in their smoking section. A girl who I did not know assumed I was mad and approached me. She then went on to say she would help me beat somebody up without even finding out what was wrong first. The only thing that was wrong with me at the time was that I was tired.

I tried asking her to leave me alone. She started screaming at me and head butted me in my nose, breaking it. She did spend the night in jail and I had my Emergency Room visit covered by the state.

In July 2011 I had a cataract removed surgically from my left eye. The cataract was a direct result of my nose being

broken. I am 28 years old, so it is not from age. I have been denied multiple jobs over the last 2 years for lack of sight in that eye. It was only by pure luck I was able to receive charity compensation for the surgery costs.

Is it possible to file a lawsuit against the establishment where my nose was broke? Or possibly against the girl who did it?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Sarah,

Unfortunately the Statute of limitations, or “time period” for civil matters in which you could have filed a lawsuit against the woman expired in about 2009. The State of Washington has a 3 year Statute of Limitations from time of the injury in which an injured party can either settle a personal injury case or file a lawsuit.

So you will not be able to file a lawsuit against either the bar or the person who attacked you.

The same holds true for a criminal action. In the State of Washington the Statute of Limitations for a “Gross Misdemeanor” is 2 years from the date of the commission of an Assault, or 1 year depending upon the class of assault a person was arrested for.

As you can see, neither the civil Statute of Limitations, nor the Criminal one applies to you.

If the woman was arrested and as part of her plea bargain she was ordered to pay the cost of your medical injuries and treatment, and she didn’t do so, there is a chance she might have violated her probation, and as a result may have been sentenced to jail.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: January 8, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(67) "Bodily Injury Insurance Claims for Accidents in Bars and Nightclubs"
    string(10) "page_id_93"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "237"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *