Visitor Question

On the Job Back Injury…

Submitted By: Tuqulia (Stone Mountain, GA)

I was walking past the sink area at work and fell flat on my back. I left work and immediately went to the hospital, but a couple of days later my employers sent me to their worker’s comp doctor. The doctor never asked me to come back and when I called to try and get my test results they said they sent them to my employer.

When I asked my employer about it they said they hadn’t gotten it yet. My back has been hurting ever since. I have medical records and when I went to the hospital that day they said I had contusions in my back area.

Can I still get compensation for my back injuries?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Tuqulia,

You may run into some difficulties getting reimbursed for the doctors’ bills you’ve already paid for. It would have been best if you originally consulted with one or more of your company’s medical doctors before seeing a private one. If you saw a private doctor on an emergency basis your employer’s workmans compensation insurance should accept responsibility for those bills.

The correct course of action now is to contact your employer’s workmans compensation insurance representative and report your injury once again. Demand to see a list of their approved workmans compensation doctors. Then go and consult with at least one.

Your workmans compensation insurance should take over from there and you should be able to get the care and treatment you need now and may need into the future. If you have to miss any work during your treatment and recovery, workmans compensation will also pay a portion of your wages during that time.

If for any reason your employer will not cooperate you may need to seek the advice and counsel of a local workmans compensation personal injury attorney.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 10, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(58) "Avoid Workers' Compensation Doctors' Conflicts of Interest"
    string(11) "page_id_507"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "197"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *