Visitor Question

Pain in amputated leg…

Submitted By: William (Pemberton, NJ)

I have an amputated leg. Since the amputation I have not been able to walk on the prosthetic because of the pain. The bone has always been sticking out real close to the skin. There was no muscle at the tip of the leg.

This went on for 8 months, and now the doctor says we have to cut off more of the leg and have muscle moved to the front of the leg. Do I have a case and should I sue? It seems like they botched the first surgery and I went through 8 months of pain without being able to walk with the prosthetic. Thanks for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear William,

The only way to know if you have a medical malpractice claim is to obtain a second, and possibly a third medical opinion. The problem you may have is getting one a physician to criticize another physician. Regardless, if you believe the first physician committed malpractice you will have to obtain at least one medical opinion confirming your suspicions.

You can also seek the advice and counsel of an experienced medical malpractice attorney. After hearing the facts of your case they may refer you to one of the physicians they have relied on the in the past. If that’s the case, you probably won’t have to pay a fee for the medical consultation. Additionally, most medical malpractice personal injury attorneys don’t charge for an initial office consultation.

Before consulting with the attorney be sure to first gather copies of all your medical records, including medical bills, doctors’ notes, etc. The attorneys will need that documentation to aid in a review of your case.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: August 19, 2013

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(61) "Filing a Surgical Malpractice Lawsuit for Injury Compensation"
    string(11) "page_id_457"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "249"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *