Visitor Question

Pushed by My Supervisor…

Submitted By: Anonymous (USA)

I was pushed to the floor by my former supervisor. The supervisor was attempting to fire me and was insulting me. I told him to stop and if he really didn’t like me to handle it outside work. I was standing at the door waiting for him to leave and he pushed me onto the floor and I hit a chair. I have injured my back and I no longer have a job.

Can I sue this person and/or the business? What would be the basis for the lawsuit?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

There are always at least two sides to every story. Your facts began by saying your former supervisor pushed you to the floor.

It is reasonable for us to presume some action precipitated your supervisor’s action. Normally supervisors don’t unilaterally and without provocation push their employees to the floor.

If your supervisor did push you to the floor without any provocation whatsoever you will have a reasonably good case against her and the business if the assault occurred on the business premises.

On the other hand, if you pushed or otherwise physically provoked your supervisor, the probability of a successful legal resolution will be diminished substantially. The legal premise of self-defense may support your claim, or your supervisor’s, depending upon the events surrounding the assault.

You would be well-advised to seek the counsel and advice of a personal injury attorney. There are probably substantially more facts surrounding the assault. Once you discuss the events with the attorney she may be better able to advise you. Most personal injury attorneys do not charge for initial office consultations.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: December 10, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1940 (11) {
    string(59) "Workplace Violence Compensation and Filing Criminal Charges"
    string(11) "page_id_501"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "185"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *