Visitor Question

Sharp piece of plastic in jar of baby food…

Submitted By: DW (USA)

I was feeding my 9 month old daughter a jar of baby food tonight (would rather not include brand name at this moment). When she was almost to the bottom of the jar I found a piece of thin clear plastic with a sharp edge in a bite of food.

I checked the spoon and it could not have come from that. It was in the jar of food. I mean she wasn’t injured and I’m a big “what if” person. If she would have choked on that or got that stuck in her intestines or elsewhere it could have been horrible. I’m afraid to even use the same brand anymore.

What should I do? Any advice? It was about an inch to inch and a half long. I’ve kept the jar of food and the piece of plastic. Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear DW,

There isn’t a whole lot you can do. Thankfully your daughter wasn’t seriously injured. If she had been the information we are sharing with you would be much different. You won’t get very far with any legal action if there are no documented injuries.

You might want to contact the company and report the incident. Although these types of issues are normally aberrations, it is always helpful to, at a minimum, contact the company to put them on notice.

Maybe the plant in which the baby food was manufactured or packaged has a problem with quality control.

You may not be the only one who reported the same type of occurrence. Your contacting the company may have the effect of causing the manufacturer and packager to look a lot more closely at their plants, their management, and their employees.

You will have done a great service to other mothers who, but for your taking some affirmative action, might have suffered what your child did, or worse.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 30, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2435 (11) {
    string(66) "Injuries Caused by Contaminated Food and Ingesting Foreign Objects"
    string(11) "page_id_136"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "163"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *