Visitor Question

Slandered by my employer…

Submitted By: Erika (Tampa, Florida)

I was approached and threatened to be prosecuted and fired by my manager at my job for theft. Once we reviewed the videos and receipts, my innocence was justified. They offered no apology and told me I was still employed by them for now. After being humiliated I no longer wanted to work there and said we should part ways.

After finding out I got a new job, the owner of my past job went to my new job and harassed my new manager, accusing him of stealing his employee. What can i do if anything?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Erika,

This establishes a new “low” for employee morale! Fortunately for you, you have moved on to a new employer.

The problem is, you cannot seem to shake your former boss.

You do have some recourse. The situation your boss created when you worked for him/her sounds like a hostile work environment.

You can report such incidences to the Labor Board and you can even file a law suit for both hostile work environment and harassment if you choose.

As to your present situation, I would guess from your facts that your former boss is still menacing to you; If so, I would definitely recommend that you file a complaint for civil harassment.

The other cause of action as to your current employer actually is something that he/she must bring forward on their own because you may lack standing to do anything on behalf of your existing employer.

Often, a legitimate lawsuit based on a real cause of action is all that is needed to make a bullying individual think twice about their behavior.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: October 19, 2010

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(42) "Defamation of Character: Slander and Libel"
    string(11) "page_id_148"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "257"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *