Visitor Question

Slip and Fall Accident Case Against Community College…

Submitted By: Sally (Grantsboro, NC , United States)

I was walking into a community college office and I slipped on the floor, there was no wet floor sign. I hurt my back and my knee, not to mention I was pregnant at the time of the fall and didn’t know it.

I went to the chiropractor as well as the appointments with the doctor. I’m still having trouble with my back and my neck. Now it’s time for me to meet the insurance adjuster and I feel as though I will always have problems with my back and knee and I won’t be compensated for my injuries.

Not only was this very inconvenient for me, but I had just gotten out of the hospital after having emergency surgery and due to the accident i was not able to get my work done on time. I failed the current semester in school. What can I do?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Sally,

First and foremost, you must make sure to receive treatment for your injuries. In addition, you will need to submit a claim to the insurance company for the community college. (It sounds as though you have already done that.)

When you are finished treating, and not a day sooner, you want to add up your medical bills and this will give you your total medical special damages. Let’s assume they are $5,000. From there, you will multiply this figure by 4-5x and add any out of pocket expenses such as prescriptions or co-pays, as well as lost wages. This will give you a starting figure to work with when dealing with the adjuster.

You may not feel completely compensated because most people would not re-injure for the opportunity to have a settlement, however settlements are designed to make you as close to whole as possible.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: January 18, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(40) "Slip and Falls Due to No Wet Floor Signs"
    string(11) "page_id_489"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "189"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *