Visitor Question

Slip and Fall in Retail Store…

Submitted By: Linda (Covina, CA, USA)

I was walking down an aisle in a large retail chain store and I slipped on some type of slippery substance that was on the floor. Whatever it was on the floor I could not see it.

When I stepped where the floor was slippery my feet flew from beneath me and I landed on my right hip and right wrist.

I did complete an Incident Report stating what happened. I did not go to the doctor after the incident even though I was in some pain (due to me not having medical insurance). However, I was unable to go to work for the next 3 days due to being in pain and not being able to stand for long periods of time (in my line of work I’m on my feet constantly).

Is it possible for me to get compensated for my days of lost wages due to my injury, without medical documentation?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Linda,


Yes. There is a possibility to recover for your lost wages and any out of pocket expenses you might have incurred such as bandages, medicine or other aid to assist you with your discomfort.

You should contact the store and request a copy of the Incident Report. You should ask your employer for written confirmation of the amount of the wages you lost during your short but important recovery period.

With that proof in hand you should go back to the store and give the manager the lost wages confirmation and any receipts you may have for your out of pocket expenses. Ask her to pass it on to her superiors so you can be reimbursed.

Your request seems perfectly reasonable under the circumstances. You are only trying to do what is fair and right. They should do the same.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: June 16, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2470 (11) {
    string(71) "The Right Way to Include Lost Income in Your Personal Injury Settlement"
    string(11) "page_id_361"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "295"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *