Visitor Question

Slip and Fall Incident at a State Park…

Submitted By: Jerry (Bourbonnais,Il)

I had a slip and fall incident at a state park and I was wondering if there’s anything I can do. I was walking at a state park and slipped on ice on a walking trail. I sustained a broken ankle.

Do I have any legal recourse for the injuries I sustained? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Jerry,

You may have a claim. Many states, including Illinois have a special process you must go through to sue them. The specific process is set out in the Illinois Tort Immunity Act. Basically it means you must fill out a Government Claim Form before you file your lawsuit.

You can get all of the information you will need about this process by going to From that site you can download the Claim Form and then mail it back to them, or hand-deliver it. Remember the law in Illinois gives you one (1) year from the date you were injured to file your claim.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: February 19, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(76) "Filing Claims for Injuries in Public Places and On Government-owned Property"
    string(11) "page_id_244"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "137"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *