Visitor Question

Son Broke Femur During Soccer Game…

Submitted By: (Lapeer, Michigan)

My son (age 15) was on a City soccer league in which my husband was the coach. During the game his leg broke without contact of the ball or other kids. We found out at the hospital he had a non-ossifying fibroma and had external fixation surgery.

Our insurance company has hired a recovery agency and I was contacted as they want all the City’s insurance info. Is there anything I should do, such as hire a lawyer? Also, should I try to get him on Social Security Disability as this could affect the growth plates? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear ,

You should certainly consult with an attorney at the earliest possible time. Most personal injury attorneys will not charge a legal fee for an initial office consultation.

Your son’s medical problems are regrettable. Hopefully the recent diagnosis will help you to know which direction to take in the future.

Your insurance company is probably preparing to “subrogate” against the city. They are investigating the issues involved in the injury to decide whether they believe there exists sufficient evidence of the city’s negligence.

From the facts you present there doesn’t appear to be any negligence. Your son’s injury was an unfortunate event which occurred during a city sanctioned soccer game.

Subrogation means once an insurance company pays their insured, if they believe the person or entity which was involved in the injury was negligent, or in any other manner was responsible for the injury, then they will pursue that entity in an effort to be reimbursed for the money they used to pay your son’s medical bills.

It’s a normal occurrence and not one which you should be worried about. You have no control over the action your insurance company takes.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: November 22, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(44) "Filing Sports Injury Claims for Compensation"
    string(11) "page_id_449"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "256"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *