Visitor Question

Supermarket Slip and Fall Case…

Submitted By: Harry (Carmichael, CA)

I walked into a supermarket to get an electric cart as I always do. On that day, October 24th 2010, it was raining, it was the first rain of the season. I walked in and there was a rug there, but it was wet.

I slipped and fell as I was walking towards the electric motor scooters, and I fractured my pelvic bone, and I had to be taken to the hospital on a stretcher. Do you think I have a case?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Harry,


From the facts you present it appears you have a strong case against the supermarket. They breached their duty to keep their store safe for its customers.

Your case’s strength will depend on several factors including, but not limited to, your age, the length of your hospital stay, your hospital and doctors’ bills, and your out of pocket expenses. The settlement should also include a substantial amount for the Pain and Suffering you endured and may continue to endure.

California has a two year Statute of Limitations law. You have until October 23rd, 2012 to file a suit against the supermarket if necessary. Be mindful of that date, as missing it will mean forfeiting your rights to ever file suit against the supermarket.

If your case was one where the injuries sustained were minor you would be well-advised to handle the case yourself through negotiation and, if necessary by filing a lawsuit in Small Claims Court.

Breaking the pelvis though is not a minor injury. To prevail, your case will likely include medical testimony, investigations of the store’s past safety record, and more.

Any negotiated settlement or lawsuit will include the store’s attorneys. In a case like yours you would be well advised to seek the advice of a personal injury attorney. Most do not charge a fee to sit and discuss the merits of your case. That would be the best starting point.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: March 8, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(61) "The Rules of Liability in Personal Injury Claims and Lawsuits"
    string(11) "page_id_364"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "281"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *