Visitor Question

Totaled Vehicle Current Market Value…

Submitted By: Karen (Raleigh, NC)

I am currently dealing with a North Carolina General Statute that requires insurers to value a totaled vehicle based upon the current local area market (not the regional market). I’ve discovered that there are 8 of these markets in NC, but can find no information regarding what cities belong to what market.

I am searching for the local area market of Raleigh, NC. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Karen,


As an injured passenger your first direction should turn toward the owner of the vehicle. Normally the owner of the vehicle will have sufficient insurance to cover multiple parties with multiple injuries. This of course presumes your injuries were not so serious as to permanently debilitate you, or cause your medical bills to be astronomical.

In the State of Indiana the minimum liability limits for automobile insurance is $25,000/$50,000/$10,000.

These amounts stand for:

–$25,000 worth liability coverage for bodily injury to 1 person.

–$50,000 worth liability coverage for all bodily injuries.

–$10,000 worth liability coverage for property damage.

Presuming you were not the only one injured your compensation would come from the $50,000 part of the insurance policy. If others were injured the $50,000 would have to be split proportionate to each passenger’s respective injuries.

You also have the legal right to seek compensation from the driver’s insurance policy. Inasmuch as the driver caused the collision and injuries there should be no question as to his liability.

It is important for you to seek any and all medical treatment necessary for your recovery. In the interim you should contact the owner’s insurance company to file a claim, and to the driver’s company to do the same.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: June 23, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(56) "How to File a Property Damage Claim After a Car Accident"
    string(11) "page_id_392"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "126"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *