Visitor Question

Trip, Slip and Fall When Walking to a Store…

Submitted By: Doreen (Fort Lauderdale, FL)

I was walking from my car to a store when I had a trip slip and fall. I twisted my left ankle and my foot swelled up and turned blue. I also landed on my right wrist and knee and they both turned blue and swelled up.

I called 911 and made a report. They helped me to my car but I did not go to the hospital. Now I think I might need an X-ray and more medical treatment. Who would pay for my medical bills?

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Doreen,


Making a report by calling 911 was a good idea. The first thing you will need to do is call your local police agency. Request a copy of your 911 report. They may charge a nominal fee of a few dollars but it is well worth it.

Many people don’t know this, but you can also request a copy of the actual 911 call. You may have to supply the police agency with a new blank CD/DVD, but the investment of a few dollars will be well spent. Make copies of the CD/DVD and Police 911 Report. Keep one set for you. The other set will be used to put the responsible parties on notice.

If the parking lot was a general one where customers parked to go into different stores, you should go online to your local county’s website and go to the tax records section. Look at the address where the parking lot is located and it will tell you the name and address of the owner(s) of the parking lot.

Once you have that information you will then prepare separate letters to the parking lot owners and the management of the store. In most cases there is dual liability for the parking lot owner and the store. Make sure your letters are sent Certified RRR Requested. Hold on to the receipts.

Now prepare a letter to the manager of the store and the owner of the parking lot. You don’t have to worry about whether they are a corporation or LLC or any of that. A letter directly to the manager of the store and the parking lot owner should be legally sufficient.

In the letter tell them the date of your injuries and explain you had not reported your injuries sooner because the effects, including the swelling and pain did not manifest themselves until recently. Tell them you will now need medical and therapeutic treatment and expect them to pay.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: March 18, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(54) "Parking Lot Injury Claims and Parking Garage Accidents"
    string(11) "page_id_342"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "175"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *