Visitor Question

Tripped on a Threshold at a Banquet Hall…

Submitted By: Barbara (Kildeer, Illinois)

I went to a wedding Saturday and on my way out I tripped on a very large threshold and fell flat on my rib. It is so sore I can’t cough, sneeze or move without severe pain. I have witnesses to the fall and the horrible piece of wood sticking out of the floor.

I have MS and they never should have such a dangerous threshold on the floor. People were tripping on it all the time! My neck and elbow hurt a lot also. I had to fly back home late last night and didn’t go to the doctor yet.

Do I have a case or not? I’m sick of obstacles that could really hurt me. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Barbara,

You may have a case. Before you know for sure you will need to document your injuries. Hopefully your injuries aren’t more than severe bruising, with some contusions or lacerations. After a thorough examination, if your doctor feels you are seriously injured she may send you for an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) exam, a CAT Scan (Computer Axial Tomography) exam, or both.

Those exanimations will be able to precisely determine whether you have suffered any fractures or bruising to any of your organs. If you are seriously injured you will have a strong case. If you suffered only severe bruising your case will be weak.

In personal injury cases monetary awards are based primarily on medical bills, called “Hard Costs” in the legal business.

If your injuries are serious and you decide to pursue a personal injury case the issue of your Multiple Sclerosis may be an intervening factor.

Multiple Sclerosis would be considered a “pre-existing” injury. When a person is injured and they have a pre-existing injury there is always a problem determining where the pre-existing injury left off and the new injury began.

The best thing to do is get to an orthopedist as soon as possible. Her decision will send you in the right direction. If you are unsure of your rights you can always seek the advice and counsel of a personal injury attorney. Most do not charge for an initial office consultation.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: October 4, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(44) "Business Property Liability Insurance Claims"
    string(11) "page_id_394"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "226"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *