Visitor Question

Victims Compensation for Assault?

Submitted By: Trent (Camas, Washington)

A year ago I was beat up by guys in masks that broke down my friend’s apartment door and came in and beat me up. One of the guys got 17 years in prison. I’ve realized that the assault has really messed up my head. I have post traumatic stress disorder from the incident and it’s a daily struggle.

Is there anything I can do for compensation? Is there money for people like me (e.g. victims compensation), or anything that’s paid by people in jail? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Trent,

Make sure you get copies of as many public records about the felony crime as possible.

Those records are all public and should all be available either for free or for a nominal fee of $2 – 3 dollars per record.

The best way to get a copy of all the records is to contact the Office of the District Attorney. Ask to speak with the prosecutor who handled the case against the criminals.

Although she may not give you copes of all the documents, she may give you many of them. Some of the documents are considered “work product” as part of the prosecution’s investigation of the case. Those don’t necessarily have to be released.

With as many of those documents as you can locate the next step will be to contact the apartment management. Tell them you want to speak with someone in authority who will be able to compensate you for your injuries.

If they do place you in contact with someone in authority you will have to lay out exactly what happened, what your injuries are, and how much you expect to be compensated for them.

Before making contact you should visit with a qualified psychologist or psychiatrist. You will need some documented basis for your post-traumatic stress syndrome.

In your case it might be in your best interest to seek the advice and counsel of a qualified personal injury attorney. The issues in your case are complex enough to require the assistance of an attorney who can apply the appropriate legal pressure on the apartment management and ownership so as to effect a fair settlement for you.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: October 22, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(77) "Crime Victims Rights & Restitution for Physical and Psychological Damages"
    string(11) "page_id_139"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "140"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *