Visitor Question

Who covers the medical bills for this boy’s injury?

Submitted By: Michelle (Texas)

My son was playing in a neighbor’s yard and with their child.

My 10 year old son tackled (just playing) and knocked down their 9 year old boy. The other boy broke his collarbone/clavicle.

The boy’s parents took him to a clinic to confirm the broken bone and will follow up with an orthopedic doctor.

My question is, do we pay for medical bills that happened on their property even though my son tackled the other boy causing his injuries, or will their homeowner’s insurance cover it? This occurred 1/21/12. Thank you.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Michelle,

What happened was an accident. The accident occurred on your neighbor’s property. Your neighbor’s homeowners insurance should cover the boy’s injuries. If not, your own homeowner’s policy should cover it.

Breaking a clavicle (collar bone) isn’t much of an injury. The clavicles are some of the weakest bones in a young person’s body. They heal quickly and almost never cause any residual problems.

You can do whatever you want, but it would be in your best interest and that of your son to speak with your homeowners insurance company before you do anything else. Let them handle the matter. That’s why you pay for insurance.

It would also be in your best interest and that of your son to cease all communications, other than referring the mother to your homeowners insurance company. Again, that should be all you will need to do.

If you have any questions about the matter, one of your insurance company’s claims adjusters will answer them. It is regrettable you have to go through this, but letting the insurance handle it is the best thing to do.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: January 22, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(61) "The Rules of Liability in Personal Injury Claims and Lawsuits"
    string(11) "page_id_364"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "242"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *