Visitor Question

Will the Insurance Company Pay for Aftercare?

Submitted By: Anonymous (Hartford, CT)

My mother, a 92 year old woman, caught the front of her shoe on a circular piece of plastic twine in a Jewish Center’s parking lot in Hartford, Connecticut. She went down, fell on her hip, and needed surgery. She is presently in a rehab facility.

Prior to the fall she lived alone. Now we have been told that she will need someone in her home to take care of her for at least six months. Will the Jewish Center’s insurance pay for my Mom’s care when she leaves the rehab facility? Is there anything else we can do to secure compensation for her continued care? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Anonymous,

The Jewish Center must carry some form of liability insurance. That insurance will be similar to that of your homeowners insurance. As a result you won’t have to be concerned about negligence, as negligence isn’t a requirement for reimbursement.

Contact the highest person in authority at the Center. Explain exactly what happened. There shouldn’t be any rancor or implied threats of litigation. You won’t have to be concerned with such matters. The Center will refer the matter to their insurance company. Within a few days to a couple of weeks you will hear from an Insurance Claims Adjuster.

The Adjuster will ask you for copies of any medical bills incurred so far. Before the Adjuster calls, have in place copies of your mother’s medical records, her out of pocket expenses such as prescription and over the counter medications, any lost wages you may have incurred or will incur into the future while caring for her, and any future nursing or other rehabilitation care she will require.

It would help to also have in your possession all of your mother’s hospital records, from her admitting chart to her discharge orders. You will especially need to have the doctor’s diagnosis and prognosis for your mother’s injuries.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: February 11, 2012

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#1942 (11) {
    string(68) "The Different Types of Liability Insurance in Personal Injury Claims"
    string(11) "page_id_359"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "231"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *