Visitor Question

Woman wants childcare payments for leg injury at our store…

Submitted By: Aida (USA)

A lady called me July 17, 2013 and said she caught her lower leg on our store door on July 15, 2013. She asked me to pay her prescription medications that she bought. I asked for her doctor’s report, the prescription and receipts, but she can’t provide it. She said she doesn’t have it. The medication cost $180.00 dollars. She said if I do not pay her she will take me to court and I will pay more.

I agreed to pay her that amount and I contacted our lawyer to make us a release form. Then I called my insurance company to inform them what happened. My insurance told me to pay her because it’s only a small amount. My insurance told me that they will give her a call to see what happened and to provide all the papers. The woman then changed her mind. She went to the clinic and the Doctor advised her to lie down with her leg elevated until July 26, 2013.

Now she wants us to pay her child care of $2,052 since she can’t cook or stand to tend her kids. She wants this instead of the $180.00 dollars that we agreed. But I refused to pay that amount. She arranged for her sister to come to help her and she told us to pay 12 hours per day for 9 days. I asked her if I can get somebody to do the house work for her for 9 days she said no because her sister was on the way to her home.

I told all this to my insurance company and they said that they will deal with her. But until now she is still calling us and threatening us that she will take us to court and charge us more money than what she was asking. I told her to phone the insurance. She said that the insurance company requires too much paperwork.

Now she called again and she wanted us to pay her first then the insurance will pay us but we said no. Can we call the police to tell her not to threaten us and not to call us anymore? Can she take us to court? What will we do if she does? Thanks for any information you can give.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Aida,

Aida (USA:

If you tell the woman to cease calling you and she continues to do so she may be in violation of your city and state’s harassment laws. Convictions for harassment can include substantial fines and jail time. If you tell her to cease and desist, don’t answer the phone when she calls. Let her leave messages on your answering machine. Anything she says can be used against her in a criminal action or in a civil lawsuit.

You are perfectly within your rights not to answer the phone and let her leave messages. Doing so is not a violation of the law.

Your insurance company should handle the entire matter. In the unlikely event the woman sues you, your insurance company will provide an attorney to defend your case at no cost to you.

Additionally, in the unlikely event she were to win the lawsuit you insurance company would pay any court ordered verdict up to you policy limits.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: July 21, 2013

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2435 (11) {
    string(58) "5 Ways to Identify and Prevent Fake Personal Injury Claims"
    string(11) "page_id_198"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "239"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *