Visitor Question

Worried about bad insurance coverage…

Submitted By: Shanna (Maryville, TN)

I slipped and fell yesterday at a major chain retail store. No wet floor signs were out stating the floor was wet. I filed an accident report with the manager regarding the fall.

Today I’m in serious pain. I don’t want to go to the doctor because I don’t have good insurance coverage. What should I do? Thanks.

Disclaimer: Our response is not formal legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Do not rely upon the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site, when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Always get a personalized case review from a local attorney.


Dear Shanna,

Normally when we believe our readers are able to take care of their legal issues without the assistance of an Attorney, we tell them. In your case because you don’t think your insurance is sufficient to cover your doctors’ visits, or your other medical needs, you should consider the assistance of a skilled Personal Injury Attorney.

You are not the only person who has suffered injuries and has little or no insurance. In these types of cases, Attorneys are able to write what are called “Letters of Protection”.

Letter of Protection are in a sense legal “IOU’s”. Successful Personal Injury Attorneys normally have special business relationships with physicians they believe will take their clients’ health matters seriously, and who will treat their clients with respect.

The Letters of Protection are promises from the Attorneys to the doctors saying when the case settles they will guarantee to pay the doctors first, even before the Attorney and her client are paid.

In return, the doctors will treat the patients just as well as they would a patient who was able to pay. You may ask, “What if the Attorney loses the case? How will the doctors get paid?”

Well in these cases the doctor is willing to take the same chance the Attorney does. Personal Injury Attorneys do not get paid until and unless they settle the case or win at trial.

Realistically though, Skilled Personal Injury Attorneys are usually experienced enough to know which cases will be successful, and which cases will not. They usually will not accept the latter.

We urge you to contact a Personal Injury Attorney. Almost all of them will not charge you any fee for an initial office consultation. You will be glad you did.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from a licensed attorney. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here , or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Published: August 10, 2011

How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney…

  • Your Accident
  • Your Claim
  • Contact Info
  • Your Evaluation
array(1) {
  object(WP_Term)#2437 (11) {
    string(40) "Slip and Falls Due to No Wet Floor Signs"
    string(11) "page_id_489"
    string(12) "icc_qa_group"
    string(0) ""
    string(3) "raw"
    string(3) "190"

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *