Rear Ended by Motorcycle after Stopping Short...

by Ingrid
(Granada Hills, CA)

I was forced to stop short because a pick up truck crossed in front of me. A motorcycle that was driving behind me rear ended me. Who is at fault in this accident?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Rear Ended by Motorcycle after Stopping Short...":

Ingrid (Granada Hills, CA):

Nine out of ten times the motorcycle driver will be considered the “at-fault” driver. Most states, including California, require drivers to stay at least one car length behind the driver in front of them for every 10 miles per hour.

Although sometimes it isn’t practical to do so, insurance companies have relied on that standard seemingly forever.

Although it appears your liability is limited (if any), if you haven’t already reported the collision to your insurance company, report it now.

Motorcycle collisions normally include injuries to the motorcyclist. If that was the case, the police may have been dispatched to the scene. They are normally only dispatched to collisions where injuries are involved or traffic is impeded.

If the police did respond they gathered sufficient information to create a police report. Police reports are normally available for pick-up after a couple of days.

They usually indicate who the at-fault driver was. Often that driver will have been issued a citation for “Following too Closely”. If so your case will be substantially strengthened.

We urge you to cooperate with your insurance company. The monthly premiums you pay are for just these types of incidents. Your insurance company will protect you. That’s their job.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Rear-end Collision Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: