Reimbursed from Insurance Company for Paid Time Off?

by Betty
(Chicago. IL)

I was injured in an auto accident about a month ago. I ended up taking 2 personal days off work to recuperate from the accident.

My office manager stated that since I am getting paid from my company and didn't lose any income due to the accident, therefore I should not be reimbursed for my lost wages from the insurance company.

Is she right? Should I get paid for the personal days I took off because of the accident? Is there any other reimbursement I should be seeking?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Reimbursed from Insurance Company for Paid Time Off?":

Betty (Chicago, IL):

You are already being paid for your days off by your company. You apparently are precluded from "double dipping," especially because the insurance apparently belongs to your company, and is not part of your own personal insurance policy.

If you had purchased a separate policy and paid the premiums out of your pwn pocket and separate from your company, you would have a right to any additional amounts you may have been entitled to from your own insurance company.

Your employer seems to be in the 'Right" here.

If you want to be covered in the future, whether for separate health insurance, or other reimbursable policy, you won't have to be preoccupied with these same issues.

If you still aren't sure about your position vis a vis your company, read your employee manual. The information may be set out there.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Lost Income Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: