Reimbursement for part-time income lost due to injury at full time job?

by Michael
(New Jersey)

I was injured on the job, which also caused me to lose income from my small business that I operate outside of my regular job.

Is my employer responsible for any and all income lost due to the on-the-job injury, whether the income comes from my full-time job or from my business? How can I get compensated for my other income? Do I have to file a separate claim for the small business income I lost? Thanks for any info you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Reimbursement for part-time income lost due to injury at full time job?":

Michael (New Jersey):

Unfortunately, your employer is not responsible for lost wages from your second job. You are though, entitled to workers' compensation benefits for your on-the-job injury.

In most cases, benefits will include reimbursement for about 2/3rds of your lost wages, your medical and therapy bills, and out-of-pocket expenses for things like medications, bandages, costs of travel to and from treatment, and other costs directly related to your injury. Workers' comp benefits do not include compensation for pain and suffering.

Loss of income from an on-the-job injury is not transferrable to another non-work entity. If though, you are listed as an employee for your own company, including paying income taxes, working normal business hours, etc., AND you have in place workers' compensation insurance, then you may file a claim under your business’s workers' comp insurance.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Lost Income Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: