Releasing records to another doctor?

by Kandice
(Selma, AL, USA)

I have a quick question about privacy and medical records...

Can worker's compensation-related medical records be released to another physician's office if the patient signs a release of information? Or do these notes stay strictly between the current doctor, employer & employee? Does anyone else have access to the employee's medical records? Thanks for any information you can give.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Releasing records to another doctor?":

Kandice (Selma, AL, USA):

Whether any patient’s medical records can properly be released to another party will depend on the wording of the release. Some releases are restrictive and only permit a patient’s records to be released to the specific party named on the form. Other releases are more general, and permit medical records to be released to a number of parties, often at the discretion of the party in original possession of the records.

If you are concerned about the release you may have signed, ask for a copy of it, or access to the original. Read it closely and determine which parties you may have authorized to receive your medical records, if any.

The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or “HIPAA” severely restricts the release of medical information to third parties. Additionally, HIPAA includes serious penalties for wrongful release of a patient's information. If you are concerned your medical information may have been wrongfully released go to the HIPAA website. There you’ll be able to scrutinize the issues regarding release of medical records and other options available to an aggrieved party.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to State Law Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: