Ring finger on my right hand was crushed off at work...

by Carrie

My ring finger on my right hand (I am right handed) was crushed off by a door at work. Workers compensation sent me to have surgery. The doctor said he lifted the nail bed but the nail came back and is now growing down into my finger. I lost feeling in the end of my finger. The doctor said I do not have a PPI but how can that be if my finger end is gone?

The workers comp adjuster took a pic of my finger and now they say they will determine what my PPI will be. I do not feel comfortable with this as they are not doctors and the dr who did this is a joke. I have caught him in many lies. I had to tell him not to prescribe some of the meds he wanted me on as I was already on them. If I had listened to him I would've overdosed on gabapentin. I have been on top of this but I'm at a loss now as what to expect as an outcome settlement.

I have tried to be fair and not get an attorney but I'm afraid if they do not come to offer a proper amount for the permanent loss of the end of my finger and disfigurement I will have to. This is in the state of Louisiana. I did not drag this out and went back to work asap. It was about 2 months of recovery before I could go back to work. The doctor has lied on the 6 questions the workers comp representative asked him. I don't know what to do. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Ring finger on my right hand was crushed off at work...":

Carrie (Louisiana):

It's interesting how your primary treating physician refused to certify you with a partial-permanent disability, but the workers compensation insurance company did. That usually doesn't happen. That's fortunate for you.

Remember you have the right to a second medical opinion, and possibly a third. You don't have to settle on the diagnosis of your present primary treating physician. You might be well-served to take the personal acrimony you seem to have with this physician and set it aside. That will only blur your judgment. Wait until the insurance company decides what your partial permanent settlement should be. You have nothing to lose by doing so.

At that time, if you believe the amount isn't appropriate for your injuries, consult with a workers compensation attorney. Most won't charge for an initial office consultation. In the interim, if you aren't satisfied with the progress of your claim you can still visit with a workers compensation attorney.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Loss of Body Part at Work Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: