Scar on Forehead...

by Lance
(Waldorf, MD)

I hit my head on some equipment hanging on the wall where I was working. The equipment had a screw sticking out of it and cut me on my forehead. There are no signs in the area to warn of the hazard.

I work for the federal government. I did notify my supervisor of the accident and was sent to the physician on base, but he was not there to see me. However, there is a record of the accident. Can I file a claim for the scar on my head?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Scar on Forehead...":

Lance (Waldorf, MD):

Yes. If the scar on your head will be permanent you will have a strong claim. If the scar will not be permanent you don't have much of a claim at all.

Don't wait to see a doctor. Go to your nearest hospital or medical clinic. The government can always reimburse you. You also have a legal duty to mitigate your damages. If there is a chance a doctor now can take some medical action to prevent scarring and you don't take advantage of it, you may not be able to come back later and request compensation if the scar does become permanent.

If you have any evidence or concerns about permanent scarring seek the advice of a plastic surgeon. Any claim for compenation for plastic surgery will have to be based on a credible medical diagnosis.

File a claim with the federal government's workers compensation department. Make sure you give them any medical records you may already have. They will need those to properly evaluate your claim. If you need further assistance contact a workers compensation attorney.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Federal Workers' Compensation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: