Secondary Knee Injury Caused by Work Injury...

by Lynnette
(Kansas City, Missouri)

I was walking at work and due to my employer's policy of wearing heals I tore up my knee and tore my leg muscle. While off due to that injury I went to do my physical therapy at home and tore my PCL in my other leg. Would this be considered part of my first injury since that's what caused it? Is there any way for me to get compensation for it?

Workmans comp said it was not covered by them since the injury occurred at home. It took the workers comp doctor 5 months to even listen to me about my knee hurting. Now they are talking surgery and from what I've heard I really should not trust this doctor. Can I request another doctor? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Secondary Knee Injury Caused by Work Injury...":

Lynette (Kansas City, Missouri):

Under Workmans Compensation law in the State of Missouri you have a right to seek the advice of a second physician on the company’s list of physicians. In your case seeing an Orthopedic Surgeon would be the best bet.

You will probably have trouble getting Workmans Compensation Insurance to cover the additional injuries to your other leg. That injury, although arguably related to the first, will be considered an independent injury.

If, when seeing the new doctor she can affirmatively link your new injury to the first, there is a remote possibility the insurance company may capitulate and cover the additional treatment for your new injuries. If the insurance company will not cooperate you can consider further legal action, although doing so will be a difficult task.

You can always consult with a Personal Injury Workmans Compensation Attorney. Most will not charge any legal fee for an initial office consultation. Knowing your legal rights may be the best way to approach this kind of controversy.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Pre-existing Condition Questions (WC)

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: