Settlement for permanent scar from getting burned?

by Jordan
(Oskaloosa, IA, USA)

I was working cleaning grills when I was burned. Now I have a scar on my arm. I am only 17 which I think is too young to be cleaning this type equipment anyways. I was cleaning above the flat grill and slipped. My forearm landed straight on the hot part of the grill and now I have a 18cm long burn scar.

I was wondering if I could get a settlement or if I can sue the company, because I will have a scar that will be there forever? Is there anything I should do? Thanks.

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Settlement for permanent scar from getting burned?":

Jordan (Oskaloosa, IA, USA):

You may not have to sue anyone. Instead, you have a right to file a workers compensation claim. To file a claim you'll need to contact the State of Iowa's Division of Workers Compensation.

Under Iowa workers comp statutes you have 90 days from the date of your injury to file your claim. Past that date, your claim may be denied. Iowa workers comp regulations provide up to 150 weeks of salary for permanent disfigurement. While this normally applies to face and head scarring or disfigurement, you may be entitled to similar benefits for your arm's permanent scarring.

Notify your employer immediately and ask to be provided an injury claim form. Complete it as soon as possible so the compensation process can begin.

Here's the State of Iowa's Division of Workers Compensation contact information.

Division of Workers' Compensation
1000 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0209
Telephone: (515) 281-5387 or (800) JOB-IOWA
Equal Opportunity Is The Law

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Click here to post comments

Return to Work Disability Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: