Settlement for Slip and Fall in a Grocery Store...

by Barbara
(Sugarland, TX)

I walked into a well known grocery store, right at the front door and the greeter booth I slipped on water that had wasted onto the floor. The store just contacted me with an offer that won't even pay all of the emergency room bills. I hurt my back, and it still hurts. What can I do?

Visitor Question:
Disclaimer: Information provided in our response is NOT formal legal advice. It is generic legal information based on the very limited information provided. Under no circumstances should the information in our response, or anywhere else on this site be relied upon when deciding the proper course of a legal matter. Our response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. Always get a formal case review from a licensed attorney in your area.

ANSWER for "Settlement for Slip and Fall in a Grocery Store...":


There are times when we offer advice to those who may want to pursue their Workers Compensation claims, lawsuits, or settlements with a 3rd party by themselves. When that occurs we offer the best advice we can. Then there are those times when it is clear our reader should seek the advice of a qualified local personal injury. This is one of those times.

Once an insurance company makes a settlement offer to a non-attorney, there isn’t too much an insured can do to change their minds. The insured has little or no leverage with which to cause the insurance company much concern. You can be confident once the offer was made there is little you will be able to do on your own to change their minds.

As a result, the insured’s only recourse is to settle for the amount offered by the insurance company or retain legal counsel to negotiate, and if necessary file suit.

This is one of those cases when we would advise you to seek the advice of counsel. Most reputable personal injury attorneys will not charge you any amount to consult with you in person at their office.

The above is general information. Laws change frequently, and across jurisdictions. You should get a personalized case evaluation from an attorney licensed in your state. Find a local attorney to give you a free case review here, or call (888) 647-2490.

Best of luck,

Judge Calisi

P.S. Please help us out by sharing this site...

Comments for Settlement for Slip and Fall in a Grocery Store...

Click here to add your own comments

Get a lawyer to protect your best interest...
by: Anonymous

Contact a lawyer, although they will take a third they will also know how to settle your case. If your back still hurts you should worry about herniated discs (regular x-rays do not show them).

I slipped and fell in a grocery store and here we are 3 years later and I'm now on disability for the rest of my life if this last surgery doesn't work....

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Self-representation Questions

How Much Is Your Claim Worth?

Find out now with a FREE case review from an attorney...

How Much Are Your
Injuries Worth?

Find out with a
free attorney review: